Below is some initial information. More details about your trip coming soon!
While there are no required vaccines, the following are recommended:
Hepatitis A & B*
MMR Malaria Varicella
*most commonly recommended
We also suggest getting a prescription for an anti-malaria medication. There are several different prescriptions you can choose from. Your local travel clinic can go over the different options with you and help you decide what will be best for you. If you've done a lot of international travel before, chances are you've had a lot of these immunizations already.
Packing List: Please do not bring anything you absolutely can’t live without (including jewelry and electronics). Be modest with the items you decide to bring to Haiti and remember that the average Haitian lives on less than $2 a day.
• VALID PASSPORT to be carried on your person at all times. • Water bottle (to be refilled)
• Clothing to fit your needs for the allotted time period- It is hot and humid in the daytime. Please dress modestly (no short-shorts or sleeveless shirts; underwear and bra straps cannot show). For Sunday morning, please include “church” clothes, i.e. long skirt/dress, short sleeves or cardigan to wear if top is sleeveless. A light jacket is recommended just in case you get chilly at night or if it rains.
• Close-toed shoes
• Toiletries (no perfumes/colognes or heavily scented items please- mosquitoes like those)
• Bug Spray- DEET (anti-mosquito) spray or wipes
• All necessary prescriptions to be kept in original labeled bottles (TSA regulations)
• Snacks for when you're on the go (protein bars, trail mix, etc)
• Backpack to hold passport/cash
• Cash for sodas, crafts, etc
• Hat, sunglasses, & sunscreen
• Hand sanitizer
• Medicines/Personal First Aids: pain/fever reducer, Imodium, sleeping aide, band aids, alcohol wipes
Help One Now will purchase trip cancellation and medical evacuation insurance for each of you (included in trip cost). You will receive an insurance card to print out and keep with your passport a week before your departure.
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
You will each been registered with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This is a free service provided by the US Government for citizens traveling abroad that will allow the US Embassy in Haiti to better assist you in the event of an emergency.