So what happens to these kids on their 18th birthday? Most have nowhere to go or a support system to turn to. They drift into the wind and become invisible to the everyday world. Here are some statistics that show a glimpse of what these kids who have never had a forever family go through.
- After reaching the age of 18, 20 percent of the children who were in foster care will become instantly homeless.
- Fifty percent of former foster youth who age out of the system will be unemployed by the age of 24.
- There is less than a three percent chance for children who have aged out of foster care to earn a college degree at any point in their life.
- Seventy percent of girls who age out of the foster care system will become pregnant before the age of 21.
- Sixty percent of young men who age out of the foster care system and are legally emancipated have been convicted of a crime.
- About one in four kids who age out of the system will not graduate from high school
- Fifty percent of kids who age out of the system will develop substance dependence
Please help us bring awareness and financial support to a group of invisible youth that has aged out of foster care. Our goal is to raise $8,000 by April 2nd and help 8 kids that are working hard to break the cycle and have a better future for themselves and not become another number in a statistic. Thank you for helping me make a difference!