A House for Their Friends
As we began to plan for the March 2017 tournament, it was clear the drought plaguing Bujumbura was too severe to have another tournament. Hungry kids cannot be asked to play and we were not sure how to feed them. Unsure of how to proceed, our thoughts kept returning to the unfinished house the community built for the three orphan children (ages 8, 12 & 13) who lost their parents to AIDS. These children had participated in our tournaments in 2016 and their friends were eager to help them after their devastating loss. It seemed clear that money should be used to complete the house and bringing the community together again to help each other.
In July 2017, the house was completed (see image). All participants were pleased to have helped their friends, shared meals together, and receive their school supplies for the year. A full description of the camp with pictures (including the house before & after) is available on the July 2017 Community Camp page.
Building a permanent house was a significant step towards helping this family, but there is still more we can all do. Below is a list of needs for the family. Please consider donating to help meet the remaining needs of the family and even help them to have sustainable income.
- Education for all 3 kids for one year - $371
- Cement floor - $314
- Beds (2 needed) - $51 each (yep, for just the cost of a pair of shoes!)
- Table & chairs - $92
- Kitchen items - $102
- Finishing touches on the house (i.e. paint) - $272
- Connect their home with water - $250, this will provide the family with clean drinking water which they can then sell to their neighbors earning about $2/day, roughly $60/month. This benefits the family and their neighborhood.
- Purchase a stall at the market - $500, the stall can be rented to a vendor earning them $30/month.
Please sign up for our newsletter to stay apprised of what we are doing and how you can help.
As always, we could not do this without your support and generosity. We are so grateful!
Learn more about past, present, and future tournaments by visiting our website: http://www.resilienceinternational.org.
To become a monthly donor, please visit our monthly donor page: https://www.purecharity.com/amahoro-monthly
Thank you for helping us make a difference!
Share Via Email